- To modify an existing product (or to launch a new one) in Period P, you need to develop an R&D project in period P-1 (or before: P-2, …).
- Usually, this project would be design to suit the needs of a segment,
- In period P-1, you give a unique name to your project and you design it in term of attributes and desired base cost.
- Still in period P-1, you allocate a budget to the project so that the R&D department can finish the project.
- In period P, the project is now available to be used as a “platform” for a product, existing or new.
- You now go in the Brand portfolio decisions, select the product to upgrade et select the project that you have just completed.
You may also refer to Chapter V, Section 7 page 36 on modifying a brand and key information for initiating a project is found in Chapter V, Section 11.A Page 42.